GREEK EASTER LAMB
5 lb. leg of lamb, boneless
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup dill, chopped
4 Tablespoons oregano, rubbed
Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, dill, oregano, and pepper.
Butterfly the lamb and pepper generously on both sides. Cut some slits in the meat.
Marinate the lamb for 2 to 24 hours.
Drain marinade from lamb and put lamb in 425 degree F oven in shallow roasting pan for about 45 minutes, until it has an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. Let lamb rest before serving.
Artichoke & Ripe Olive Tuna Salad
An unusual and rich flavor combination; serve this salad with sliced tomato on a bed of lettuce or on French bread.
Yield: 5 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
1 12-ounce can (or two 6-ounce cans) chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
1 cup chopped canned artichoke hearts
1/2 cup chopped olives
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Combine tuna, artichokes, olives, mayonnaise, lemon juice and oregano in a medium bowl.
Tips & Notes
Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Nutrition Per serving:
113 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 471 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 very-lean meat, 2 fat, 1 1/2 vegetable
Barbecued Chicken Burritos
These burritos are something of a Tex-Mex wonder: tangy barbecue sauce, some roast chicken (or rotisserie chicken) and vegetables, all wrapped up in tortillas. For the best taste, look for a fiery barbecue sauce without added corn syrup.
Yield: 4 servings, 1 wrap each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed, or canned corn, drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 leaves romaine lettuce
4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
2 limes, cut in wedges
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, barbecue sauce, beans, corn and sour cream; stir to combine. Cook until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
Assemble the wraps by placing a lettuce leaf in the center of each tortilla and topping with one-fourth of the chicken mixture; roll as you would a burrito. Slice in half diagonally and serve warm, with lime wedges.
Nutrition Per serving:
404 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 80 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% daily value), Iron (20% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
2 cups macaroni
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can tuna
1 small package cream cheese
½ teaspoon garlic
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ cup milk
1 small onion, chopped
¼ cup grape nuts
2 Tablespoons butter
1. Cook macaroni per package directions.
2. In casserole dish mix cream of celery, softened cream cheese, milk until smooth.
3. Add tuna, garlic, dry mustard and onion. Stir in cooked macaroni.
4. Melt butter and mix grape nuts into the butter. Spread mixture over top of casserole.
5. Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
BEER MARINATED PEPPERED TBONE STEAK
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 of a 12-ounce can (3/4 cup) beer
3/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup parsley
3 Tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 beef T-bone steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound each
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
In a large glass baking dish combine onion, beer, chili sauce, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, paprika, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place steaks in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or overnight, turning steaks over occasionally.
Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with the cracked black pepper.
Grill steaks on an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 5 minutes. Turn and grill to desired doneness, allowing 7 to 10 minutes more for medium (160 degrees F) doneness.
BOSTON CREAM PIE
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
2 3/4 cups cold milk
16 ounces hot fudge topping, warmed
maraschino cherries (for garnish)
whipped cream (one can)
1. Prepare yellow cake mix according to package directions.
2. Bake in two round cake pans, cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat pudding mix and milk at low speed for 2-3 minutes. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Place firm, chilled pudding between layers of cake. Top with fudge topping, pipe whipped cream around the edges. Garnish with maraschino cherries if desired.
Easy Potato Soup
1 quart milk (4 cups)
1/2 to 1 diced onion
4 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon (heaping) flour
Dash of pepper
1. Cut potatoes into small pieces and cook in salted water, with the onion.
2. In a heavy pan melt the butter over low heat. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
3. Slowly add half of the milk. Add hot, cooked potatoes and onion mixture.
4. Use a potato masher to break up potatoes a bit. Add the rest of the milk and the salt and pepper.
5. Cook over medium heat until hot. If it is not thick enough, shake 1 tablespoon of flour with 1/2 cup cold milk and add to the soup, stir frequently, garnish with a sprinkle of dried parsley.
1 medium cucumber, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Mix all ingredients together and chill before serving
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, flattened to ¼ inch thickness
1 12-ounce can Coca-Cola
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
1. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Cover and turn heat to medium.
3. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Uncover, and cook an additional 10 minutes until done. Serves 4.
Herbed Potatoes Recipe
3 large potatoes
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
2 Tablespoons oil
celery salt, to taste
garlic salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cut the unpeeled potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
3. Place the potato slices on well greased shallow baking pans.
4. Combine pepper, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary in a small bowl.
5. Brush the potato slices with oil and a sprinkle with the herb mixture.
6. Bake the potato slices for about 20 minutes or until they are well-browned and crisp.
7. Sprinkle with combined salts and serve. Serves 4.
Meat Loaf Ingredients:
2/3 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
¼ cup milk
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
1½ pounds ground beef or ground meat loaf mix
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
Meat Loaf Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Stir cracker crumbs, Belk, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, egg, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl.
3. Add meat loaf mix or ground beef, combine until well blended.
4. Divide meat mixture into four portions. Form oval-shaped loaves from each portion.
5. Heat oil in 12 inch nonstick oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat loaves well on one side, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Carefully flip the loaves over, brown on other side.
7. While meat loaves are browning, mix ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar in a bowl until smooth.
8. Spoon this mixture on top of meat loaves after they have been flipped over.
9. Transfer skillet to oven, bake until centers of loaves are no longer pink (about 15 minutes). Makes 4 servings.
While meat loaf is baking prepare brown sugar glazed carrots.
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots Ingredients:
1 pound carrots, sliced ¼ inch thick
½ cup chicken broth
3 Tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons lemon Juice
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots Directions:
1. Bring carrots, broth, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt to simmer, covered, in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook until carrots are almost tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Uncover, increase heat to high, and simmer rapidly until liquid is reduced to about 2 Tablespoons, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Stir butter and remaining 2 Tablespoons brown sugar into skillet and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until carrots are completely tender (about 3 minutes).
5. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.
2 Tablespoons butter
2½ cups cooked ham, cubed
2 green onions, chopped
8 ounce canned pineapple chunks, drained
1 1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons mustard
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 cups hot cooked rice
1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add ham, onions and pineapple; sauté for 5 minutes and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard and cornstarch. Mix well and pour over ham mixture.
4. Cook over medium heat until heated through and thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve over fluffed hot rice. Makes 4 servings.
CHOCOLATE BUNNY BREAD
3 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 pkgs. rapid rise yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk chocolate or peanut butter morsels
In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, cocoa powder, undissolved yeast and salt.
Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F).
Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
Add egg, vanilla and 1/2 cup flour, beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
With spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make soft dough.
Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover, let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Divide dough in half.
For body, knead chocolate morsels into 1 half, form into ball. Place on bottom end of large greased baking sheet; flatten to make 5-inch round.
For head, remove 1/3 of remaining half, form into ball. Place on large baking sheet above body, flatten slightly, pinching to attach.
For nose, pinch off 1/2 inch ball from remaining dough; place on center of head. Divide remaining dough into 4 equal portions, roll each to form 6-inch rope.
For arms, arrange 2 ropes across body; attach by tucking one end of each under body.
Shape remaining ropes into ears; arrange above head. Attach by tucking one end of each under head.
Cover, let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until done, covering aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning. Remove from sheet; cool on wire rack. Decorate as desired.
EASTER CROWN BREAD RING
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
1/3 cup chopped blanched almonds
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
2 Tablespoons melted shortening
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tablespoon whole milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons multicolored sprinkles
1. Color the 5 eggs with egg dye. In a large mixing bowl, blend the white sugar, salt, and yeast well with one cup of the flour.
2. In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup milk and butter, heating slowly until liquid is warm and butter is melted.
3. Pour the milk into the dry ingredients and beat 100-150 strokes with a wooden spoon.
4. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour or enough to make a thick batter. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Stir in enough flour to make a ball of dough that draws away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for about 10 minutes, working in additional flour to overcome stickiness.
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
7. Meanwhile, combine the fruit, nuts, and anise seed.
8. Punch down the dough and return it to a lightly floured board. Knead in the fruit mixture, keeping the syrupy pieces dusted with flour until they are worked into the dough.
9. Divide the dough in half.
10. Carefully roll each piece into a 24-inch rope. The fruit and nuts will make this slightly difficult.
11. Loosely twist the two ropes together and form a ring on a greased baking sheet. Pinch the ends together well. Brush the dough with melted shortening.
12. Push aside the twist to make a place for each egg. Push eggs down carefully as far as possible. Cover the bread with wax paper and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
13. Bake the bread in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a twist comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
14. Once the bread is cool, drizzle the icing on top between the eggs, and decorate with colored sprinkles.
To make icing: mix together confectioners’ sugar, 1 Tablespoon whole milk, and vanilla.
Homemade chicken fajita & guacamole
Ingredients : small (cooked) chicken strips , sour cream , shredded cheese , half of a sliced onion , half sliced jalapeño (green) , half of a tomato sliced small , 3 avocados peeled and smashed , 3 squirts of lime juice , shredded lettuce , tortilla’s , tortilla chips and Pico de gallo .
First : add cooked chicken strip to pan .
Warm them up . It should only take 4 or 5 minutes on medium .
Second : remove chicken and began to warm the tortilla one by one . They should only take about 3 min . (Some times less) .
*you also warm them up in the microwave*
Third : begin the guacamole . Peel and smash the avocados. Then cut up the onion , pepper , and tomatoe.
Fourth : add 2-4 squirts of lime juice . (Depends on how much line juice you like) and stir .
Fifth : prepare your chicken wrap . I spread sour cream on the tortilla then add chicken , cheese , lettuce , and some Pico de gallo .
Grab your chips and dig in !(: